Saturday, 31 January 2015

Dear baby - An open letter to my baby girl

To my beautiful baby girl,

Its one of those days, the days where you wont sleep anywhere but in my arms, but I don't even mind one bit.

Its one of those days where my heart fills with love. Where tears well in my eyes.

Its one of those days where I can not imagine life without you. I am happy.

We have only know each other a short time. I have only been able to hold you in my arms, to comfort you, to nourish you, to stroke your cheek for 3 months and 4 weeks. Yet I can not remember life before you were here.

It has been one year since your daddy and I sat in the doctor's office and heard those words, 'yes, you are definitely pregnant'. We did not then know the full implications of these words. We did not comprehend just how much our our lives would change. We did not realize that we could feel so much love.

From that day on, you made your presence known. When I first saw you at the 12 week scan, I remember a feeling come over me as I saw your tiny form and wept uncontrollably. I did not care if the tests came back to tell me if you were high risk. I knew from that moment that you were here, that you were coming, that you were mine, that you were perfect! I knew we were going to fight together because you were meant to be here, because we loved you already.

I remember the fear at 26 weeks when I saw the toilet bowl full with blood. I remember being in the hospital dreading I had done something wrong, that I might lose you. But you were none the wiser, sucking your miniature thumb on the ultrasound. Heartbeat steady. I always knew you were a fighter. The next three times were no less heart wrenching, but we made it and you arrived. Perfect.

No one told me quite how hard it would be. I knew I would not be sleeping as much. I knew I would be changing a thousand nappies. But I wasn't prepared. I don't think anyone ever is. In those first few weeks, we both learnt how to adjust. But it was hard.

Everything I did, everything I do, is for you. When I eat, I think about how what I eat nourishes you. When I sleep, I wake constantly to check that you are sleeping peacefully. My life is no longer about me, no longer just about me. Our life, daddy and mine, is no longer just about us as a couple.

I know that when you get hungry, I will be there to feed you. I know that when you are tired, I will be there to help you sleep. I know that when you feel scared, but I will be there to comfort you.

Nothing prepared me for the dirty nappies, the throw up, the sleepless nights, the constant worry. But when I wake up in the morning, I see your smiling face and I smile. I know that you are not worried about all those things that occupy an adult mind. I know that you feel safe, that you feel love. And my heart melts.

Thank you my little koala baby, for without you I would have never known a mothers love. I would have never seen how much your daddy loves you and how much more I could love him. I would never have seen how much more there was to the world.

I love you, my little koala baby.

Mummy x

19 comments:

  1. Hi Lu. I am a friend of your Mum.
    This is a beautiful expression of love and truth for your daughter. I hope all goes well for you all in the months and years ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! I'm loving writing my blog, and loving spending time with my daughter even more! Its all going so fast though

      Delete
  2. This made me cry, Happy Tears.
    I just sent my precious miracle off to pre prep this week and I was reflecting on her last 4 years here (earth side) what a joy its been......my advice is to enjoy every single minute, it flies by so fast. #aussieparentingbloggers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words! I am so glad that what I write can resonate with people. Good luck to your baby starting school! I know I'll be a blubbering mess when my bub starts!

      Delete
  3. What a gorgeous post and an adorable bub. My three are all now in high school this year, I'm finding it hard to believe where the time went.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm dreading the day my bub starts school! Although with 3 teenagers, Im sure you'll secretly a little glad to have them out of your hair 8 hours a day :)

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful post and how lovely to think that one day you'll daughter will be able to read this and understand how much you mean to her. Treasure these moments - they go quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've been writing my baby letters since I was pregnant to give to her on special days like her wedding, 18th birthday etc I like to think she'll be able to read about how I was feeling at these times and feel loved!

      Delete
  5. This made me teary! Absolutely beautiful. I agree with Rachel, hang on to these posts so your daughter can read them one day. What a precious gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad my words could touch you. I'll be printing this off and saving it for my girl's special box. I hope she will appreciate my words in years to come :)

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful post! Just beautiful :) And just think of all the adventures and memories you guys have ahead of you - my Missy is 3 1/2 and I never thought it could get more amazing, but every single day it does! She's lucky to have you as her mum :)

    Thanks for contributing to The Sunday Brunch Magazine.

    All the best,

    Eliza.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! This is beautiful. Thank you for sharing Lu.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwww this brought a tear to my eye! She is such a beautiful baby and you look so happy #brilliantblogposts x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks :) So is gorgeous! She only gets cuter with age but I do miss that squishy newborn phase

      Delete
  9. This is a beautifully written post, you sum up how so many of us feel as new parents. I am sorry you had such a fearful pregnancy, that cannot have been nice at all. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, hopefully next time round pregnancy will be less stressful! She's certainly kept us on our toes since day one, but we love her to bits!

      Delete
  10. We can feel the love through this post.
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is my most precious possession :) thanks for reading!

      Delete