Monday, 23 February 2015

New Life, new Adventures : Moving with a newborn

At the end of last year, we made the decision to sell our house and move in with my parents so we could get some support with the little koala. New city, new adventure, new life!

Moving house is a pretty stressful business at the best of times. There's physical exhaustion, decision overload, and frayed tempers to contend with. And try doing it with a newborn!

Can I just say, it was hard!

What were we thinking? Not only did we make the decision and commence said move in less than 4 weeks, but all with a small baby and no professional movers! A one income family with a new baby just can't justify thousands of dollars in moving costs! But really, never again!

Our friends and family often call us crazy for what we try to cram into short periods of time. The year before we moved interstate, we both started new jobs, bought a house, planned a wedding, had an overseas honeymoon, got pregnant, and then had a baby. So, surely a simple interstate move with a newborn while selling our house and my husband starting a new job should be a piece of cake.

I felt so useless during the actual move, doing nothing but holding a baby while my husband and parents scurried around me packing and cleaning.

The move went something like this...

Week 1 - Start packing up house.

Week 2 - Meet with Realtor, pick Realtor, photos of house, pack more boxes, organise house contracts, inspections etc, hubby goes North to meet with new boss

Week 3 - First house showings, pack remaining boxes, change of address

Week 4 - Wednesday night, pack up truck in pouring rain with only one extra pair of hands to help (thank you Ross!). Thursday clean house, drive more than 5 hours north and unpack truck into half a garage (thank you Simon) in stifling heat and humidity. Stuff down a bit of takeaway pizza in chaotic house with our koala grizzling in the wings. Friday Return truck to Canberra.

Week 5 – reorganise half of possessions in the half garage when it is discovered several vital objects are buried deep in box mountain.

Move complete.Goodbye first home. The first house we even owned, the house we brought our baby girl home to.

Well, sort of. Did I mention we also moved into my parents house? This could be interesting.... No doubt they will provide a multitude of support for our little koala while we are there. But we plan to find our own new home to buy or rent soon. When we move out I guess it will be exciting, but I'll probably also be wondering how I will manage on my own again!

So here we go, beginning our new life in a new town, making new friends with a new baby! Stay tuned for further adventures in our new home.


xo


Linking with:
Essentially Jess
little drummer boys
Finding myself young

14 comments:

  1. I feel for you! We moved and renovated when I was 7 months pregnant with baby #3!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh moving when pregnant with kids would be hard! and renovating! what were you thinking? :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like its going to be a great adventure! I would want to go and move in my mother-in-laws. Its just that her place is not kid friendly at the moment but that would help us greatly financially too if we can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my parents place certainly needs some baby proofing before she starts crawling! small objects and pointy things everywhere!

      Delete
  3. Wow! How stressful! But it must now be great having the support of your parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its great to have someone around to watch the bub when I shower or cook dinner etc. Gives me time to breath every now and then!

      Delete
  4. The thought of moving scares me so much! But I do want to move to bigger premises now we have 3 babes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With 3,they would be under your feet all the time. At least they might be big enough to carry something :)

      Delete
  5. Moving is stressful in itself. Hope you've settled in well, and sought out things for you and bub to do in your new community :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've met a lovely group of local mums, so we are starting to settle in already! Its the people make a place a home I believe :)

      Delete
  6. At least the hard work is done now and you can settle in and relax in your home :)
    I've always packed and moved myself, the earlier you start the better it will be. I dread to think about moving again now though I've accumilated so much more in the last few years of living with my partner. Heaven help me if I have a baby to look after too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not quite done! We still need to sell our old house and buy a new house, then move again! But at least we can ease our way into it and take our time finding the right home. We detoxed a lot of our stuff before the move, but there's still so much!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Definitely, I'm looking forward to it!

      Delete