Thursday, 26 February 2015

Sleep baby Sleep : 4 Month Sleep Regression!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Just so we're clear, this is not a post that will teach you how to self settle your baby. This is in fact, the exact opposite!

Anyone familiar with the Wonder Weeks has probably heard the term 'four month sleep regression'.

I have to say I've been skeptical of the Wonder Weeks, I never really noticed anything different, until Leap 4! Suddenly my baby went from waking once or twice a night to waking at 10pm, 12am, 1am, 3am, 5am, 7am! Seriously, what happened to my well sleeping bub? She has been such a bad day sleeper, the only thing getting me through the days was that she slept well at night.

This was the start of the 4 month sleep regression, albeit closer to 5

This was tough.

I became resentful of the mums who would boast their ability to put their baby down in the cot and they would just drift off to sleep. I found myself getting angry at the constant stream on the baby forums of posts such as 'this is how to get your baby to self settle' or 'all you need to do is....'. Really? No. This is now you got YOUR baby to self settle. This is not how I get MY baby to self settle.

I became so tired of walking my baby around the house for hours, bouncing as I went, praying my baby would fall asleep. A couple of weeks ago I finally decided to follow one method to teach my baby to self settle. It went like this. 5 simple steps...

Step 1. Put baby in cot when calm and drowsy.
Step 2. Settle baby for 2 minutes then leave the room.
Step 3. Leave baby for 4 minutes. If baby cries, return and re-settle in cot.
Step 4. Repeat and gradually increase time spams in between.
Step 5. Babies should start to have pauses between cries and eventually sleep.

HAHAHAHAHA! That went well. NOT! After one whole hour of listening to my poor little koala scream as I tried to convince her to self settle in her cot. My pats on her bottom, my holding her hands could not console my poor little screamer. I eventually gave in and resumed my bouncing route around the house feeling like an absolute failure.

Apparently my baby was suppose to calm when I went in every 4 minutes to soothe her. She was meant to stop crying. She was meant to fall asleep. Well, she did stop crying, for about 10 seconds at a time, but only to regather her strength to continue screaming.

Well, I have not reattempted this 'self settling' since. But that's ok, my baby has decided sleep is for the weak anyway and given up sleeping in the daylight hours!

Oh 4 month sleep regression, please give me my baby back!

... and then teach her to sleep ...

xo



Linking with:
Barbie Bieber and Beyond
The Ultimate Rabbit Hole
Essentially Jess

18 comments:

  1. Oh I so remember those days! Just so you know I bounced my son well over a year. and two this day I still will if he is sick or just rather needy and he is now four. We don't really rock anymore. Once in a blue moon he will ask to rock or bounce and I always do.
    Hang tough. sleep will come. I promise

    Erica
    #promoteyourbusinessthroughblogging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the cuddles I get when she falls asleep bouncing, but hate the screams when she doesnt want to sleep! Hopefully her sleeping improves soon!

      Delete
  2. I wish I could provide you with some positive vibes and hope for the future, but my little one is 7 months and we're still in the 'up every 2 hours' bit.

    Sleep is for the weak right? Ugh.

    Katrina
    #promoteyourbusinessthroughblogging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha that's exactly what I think my baby has decided! Sleep is for the weak... she's certainly not weak, such a strong willed girl! Hope your babies sleep is getting better for you!

      Delete
  3. Nawh beautiful baby! They do their own thing anyway aha

    Katie Campbell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, the last pic I have of her sleeping, when she was about 12 weeks old! silly babies, show us whose boss right from the start don't they?!

      Delete
  4. What an adorable baby!! I am sorry to say I cannot give any pointers besides enjoy it because for long they won't need you at all. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks :) Oh I hope she always needs her mum, but I know she'll one day be a teenager!

      Delete
  5. Oh Lu, I feel your pain!! Hold tight mumma, just keep rocking and bouncing and patting and shushing... xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I have a tiny bub, my back is bad enough with all this bouncing, I can only imagine how bad it would be if she was bigger!

      Delete
  6. Anti-sleep days just plain suck. I've found sometimes the only answer is to drag some pillows and blankets out to the lounge, get comfy and forget getting anything productive done. Night are even worse! It does pass- we're up to 6 months now and just had our first sleep through <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, today was another anti-sleep day. I'm hoping one day she'll go back to day napping lol Congrats on your bub sleeping through! bring on more sleep :)

      Delete
  7. :-( Sleep is so hard. My boys are 2.5 and 4.5 now and they still sleep like crap! But they've vastly improved since the early days. If it helps, they say that really smart kids sleep badly:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I like that! Must mean my baby is very intelligent! You must have some smart boys too :)

      Delete
  8. My last two were self settlers and they also struggled at four months. The world is just a far more interesting place to them then, and why would they want to sleep.
    But be encouraged, it will pass. You're doing your best, and if she's happy, and you're ok, then that's great. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am so jealous! I don't even think she will ever self-settle! Hopefully it passes soon!

      Delete
  9. Lu, I remember those days and now I am scared that I am only a couple of months away for going through all that fun again! At just three weeks my baby girl is showing signs that things may be a little grim as she gets older on the sleeping front. Rubbish day sleeper but pretty good (for 3 weeks old! so goes back to sleep well) during the night at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh no! Fingers crossed your little girl doesnt turn into a bad sleeping koala like mine! Lucky babies are so cute, I think they are made that way so we forgive their inability to sleep :)

      Delete