Saturday, 14 February 2015

Valentines Day after babies

This year Valentines Day was obviously going to be different since the arrival of our little koala. Amazingly though, my hubby was the most romantic he had ever been!


He has never been much of a romantic. After all, he proposed on the side of a road out the front of an Energy Australia power station.

Valentines Day. It started with hubby cooking me a lovely breakfast! I love a good Saturday breakfast! It was something I used to do before Elena arrived. I'd come up with different ideas for breakfast, from french toast with ricotta and poached pears, to eggs Benedict a la Lu. I would spend a good hour or two on Saturday mornings busying myself mixing batter, poaching eggs or spreading home made pesto on crusty bread. It was a little pleasure for me.

To have my first Saturday breakfast in four months was just perfect!

Unfortunately the rest of the day didn't go quite as planned. Elena threw up her feeds not once, but twice, putting my husbands lunchtime plans into disarray and leaving me a bit apprehensive to take the baby out.

Babies never really like to follow plans.

Finally hubby surprised me with some beautiful roses he had hidden in the car waiting for our lunchtime excursion that never happened. One rose from him, one rose from Elena and one rose from Kitkat. I felt special.

But it didn't end there! We were lucky enough to get Elena to bed by 8pm. This never happens! Hubby had bought all the makings for homemade pizza. The first dish we had ever made together. Four years ago.

Did the night end there? No he has one last surprise.... I walked outside onto the back deck and saw this!

There can be romance after kids!

Must say, the man impressed! xxx


Linking with :
EssentiallyJess
Celebrate Women Today
Mama to 5 blessings
Farm Girl Miriam

16 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely! You are right that valentines changes when you have a little one. Hubby and I luckily got a babysitter (for our almost 2 year old) and had an amazing dinner out. Plus I got flowers - and we always make a special effort to write each other a nice card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we actually noticed Valentines Day more this year because we so aware that we can't just go out for dinner, our bub is too young for a baby sitter but it all just involves more planning once kids are involved.
      Its so great that you and your hubby still make such an effort! I think it makes it that little bit more special :)

      Delete
  2. Hey, I read this from #BrilliantBlogPosts and I thought how lovely those romantic gestures were. It is sk tough to keep these things going after babies, as baby's routine frequently trumps everything else. Love the candles! So much effort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! It is so hard to work in couple time around bubs routine, especially at night. I dont want to do anything that risks my nighttime sleep! There were 180 candles! I was lucky it wasnt a windy night :)

      Delete
  3. That was a lovely surprise! We agreed not to bother this year as we have a ten weeks old and we've never paid the day much heed. Husband did wish me a happy Valentine's Day - on the 15th:)

    Hello from #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, at least he said something! When our girl was 10 weeks I would have forgotten too! I told my dad he should do something for my mum, his response 'nah, we dont do that kind of thing'. Poor mum! Then again, they both forgot its their 35th wedding anniversary this year

      Delete
  4. Aw so lovely. I think our husbands can often see us differently when we become mothers. They can appreciate all we do, see how invested we are, how tired, how we often keep the home fires burning. We need to be more adaptable and things don't often go to plan as your day shows. I'm glad you got some special moments together x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised how much mums are capable of! I didn't even eat today, days are no longer about you, so it is nice when we get some appreciation :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like an absolutely delightful day! My Valentine's Day was quite humorous...in the most unfortunate way. One cancelled date and one bottle of wine later, I was much happier snuggling into bed with Beauty and the Beast. You never get too old for Disney!
    Glad you had such a great day!!!
    ~ Samantha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love Disney! Sorry your V Day was a bit of a flop, but Gaston was a dreamy leading man, even as the beast :)

      Delete
  6. Wow, the candles are incredible! Your hubby did good. Homemade pizza is like a little slice of heaven, there is pretty much nothing better. What a lovely day you've had!
    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! love homemade pizza!
      Ps. love you Lady Grantham quotes on http://www.farmgirlmiriam.ca/! Im obsessed with Downtown Abbey

      Delete
  7. Oh wow! That is romantic! How sweet is that. Glad you had a lovely day. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a man!

    My husband is fantastic - but I've never had a message in lights!
    Amber. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great men are hard to find :) If we're lucky we meet one, even if they don't do messages in lights. Lucky you having a great hubby as well!

      Delete