Saturday, 7 March 2015

7 things that change after having a baby : Life before and after baby

Just over 5 months ago, I was fortunate enough to welcome my beautiful baby girl.

Just over a year ago we had found out we were expecting a baby. We were over the moon! Yes, she was planned but to be honest, my husband and I hadn't expected it to happen quite so quickly. A baby and family, was definitely something we wanted. 

This time last year, we had no idea just how different life would be. I'm not sure I fully comprehended what having a baby would be like. After all, I'd never been around babies since I was a baby!  

I wonder if I should have savoured longer those Friday nights snuggled up on the lounge with a bottle of wine. Or the ability to get up on a Sunday morning and make split decision to drive down to the beach.  I used to revel in the joys of cooking a big Sunday breakfast or coming up with some creative dinner idea that would take half the afternoon. 

These are some of those befores and afters... how life has changed!

1.
Before : Sleeping until 10am on a Sunday
After : Up at 6am. Bub fed, nappy changed, dressed, played with, sung to. Bub fed breakfast. Nap one attempted and failed. Nappy changed again. Played with again. Nap one reattempted. Down. Quick shower, dressed, coffee... oh glorious coffee.... uh oh bub awake. 

2.
Before : Lets go to the beach. Ok! Suncreen - check. ipod - check. Yay, beach day!
After : Lets go to the beach. Ok, well the bub needs feeding at 10am, so we better wait til after then to go. We better go to the beach 40 mins away so bub can sleep in the car instead of needing a bounce to sleep. Then we'll have 2 hours then we can head home so she gets the next nap. Now let me check the nappy bag and make sure I have nappies, Bephathen, wipes, hand sanitiser, bib, solids for bubs lunch, toys, bubs hat, beach umbrella, towels, changes of clothes for all of us in case of poo explosion and so on. 

3.
Before: Yay Friday before a long weekend!! Trip away here we come!
After: Oh, its Friday? Oh, its a long weekend? .... oh wait, I'm a mother...

4.
Before : Oh wonderful shower, 30 minutes of heated bliss...
After : Alright bub is down, I have 2 minutes... go go go... uh oh, bubs awake. Oh well, I'll shower tomorrow.

5.
Before : I might make a roast chicken for dinner with an apricot breadcrumb stuffing and some seared asparagus with a roast pumpkin, quinoa and feta salad.
After : I'll give bub her dinner, bath, book, feed, and rock her to sleep then I can make something for dinner. 9pm. Frozen pizza it is.
6.
Before : Friday night, leisurely wander down to Glebe with the hubby for some Japanese, followed by gelato at our favorite gelato shop and a stroll along the water front.
After : Chatting with my mums group on Facebook about our favourite trashy TV shows. 90210 baby. The original - 10am weekdays!

7.
Before : Going out for lunch! Hair perfectly groomed, makeup applied with expert precision. Outfit changed 4 times, where did I put my pink cardi? Should I wear the 3 inch stiletto or the silver kitten heels? Head out the door and arrive right on time.
After : Going out for lunch.... race around getting bub fed, changed, dressed, bag packed. Finally out the door half hour hour after I was meant to be at lunch. Wearing the same flat shoes I've worn for the last 3 months. Same outfit I wore yesterday (breastfeeding friendly of course). Makeup? Pfft... Oh, I forgot to brush my hair. No worries, there is a hairbrush in the nappy bag. Arrive at destination... wait, is that baby vomit on my shoulder? oh well....

So obvious life is a bit different down, life revolves around my little koala. I haven't had a glass of wine in over a year, I schedule outings around bub's nap and feed schedule. I haven't had my hair cut in over a year!

I wonder where I'll be in another year, how will things change again? Will we have another one on the way? Our little koala will be approaching the terrible twos....

Yes, its different. Yes, its hard.

But would I change it? Not for all the money in the world!

xo


Linked to:

Essentially Jess
The Ultimate Rabbit Hole
Barbie Bieber and Beyond

14 comments:

  1. Yes to all of these! I'm at year 3 and I still miss all of the above! I love being a mum and all the wonderful things it has brought into my life, but I also miss these too! #aussparentingbloggers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being a mum has definitely made my life fuller, but I think I'll be waiting a good 15 years until I'll get to sleep in again! I wouldnt change it though!

      Delete
  2. Oh I still remember all of the planning that went into a trip out of the house, even to do the groceries! I had many a shower with bub sleeping in his swing in the bathroom too. Now that he is 5 it is definitely different. Not necessarily easier, just different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I've had many showers with bub sitting in her bouncer or on the play mat outside the bathroom door. I know it will change again as she gets older, but thats ok too.

      Delete
  3. Ha ha, yes! My boys are 2.5 and 4.5 now and it's starting to ease up a bit. I can actually relax with a glass or two of wine on a Friday night now. Still no sleep in though:-) Thanks for linking with #TeamIBOT x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'l definitely looking forward to that first glass of wine! Once bedtime routine gets a bit easier I wouldnt mind a nice unwind evening! Glad to know it gets easier :)

      Delete
  4. Wine makes everything easier! Although too much and you'll really suffer - there is nothing much worse than dealing with a hangover and a baby/toddler. Oh wait. Perhaps dealing with a hangover and TWO toddlers!

    Life will never be the same again, and that's a good thing in my book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I am looking forward to that first glass of wine! I think one glass would put my over the edge after not having had a drink in well over a year! Life will definitely never be the same, and I agree, its a good thing!

      Delete
  5. Great post!! We wouldn't have it any other year right!! Just wait until they are teenagers, then they sleep until midday and you can get up when you want :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be looking forward to those sleep ins, although I suppose the trade off is that you have a teenager! :)

      Delete
  6. All so very true! Life certainly changes and everything takes longer. I have thrown in many days before they even begin! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when she was first born and it would take 2 hours just to leave the house. Ive cut that down a bit now, but I used to be an early person, now I'm always late!

      Delete
  7. Hahahaa I def hear you on numbers 4 & 7. Bub is almost 9 months old now and it's only been the last 2-3 months that I've managed to find the time (not always) to make myself look reasonable before going out. Wouldn't it be easier if we could shower while they were awake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still dont look good most days lol I often go days without makeup now! I used to leave my girl on her play mat or in the bouncer outside the shower so I could watch her play while I showered, it worked sometimes :)

      Delete