Just Mums Recruitment has found if you are a mum, many employers won't even consider hiring you!
This is ridiculous! As if being a mum wasn't hard enough. If you are like me and looking to head back into the workplace. You're way overqualified for most positions you apply for. You start applying for every job under the sun and still can't get an interview. Is it those glaring words on your resume 'MATERNITY LEAVE' causing the problem? Apparently it is! In fact, we are now being told to stop including 'maternity leave' on our resumes, its better to be unemployed for any reason other than having a baby!
Seriously? This is f*@#ed! Mothers make better workers for so many reasons! Here are just five of them.
1. We spend all evening singing 'twinkle twinkle little star' and 'old Macdonald' that we cannot wait to get into an environment where children don't exist and we can read about politics and accounting.... seriously, I never thought I'd be excited by accounting.
2. We know we have a deadline, you have to pick you're kids up sometime, so we are likely to waste less time and work harder to complete our work.
3. We know how to multitask. We you have children you need to learn how to cook dinner, entertain the baby and break up fights all at the same time! Invaluable skills in the workplace.
4. We are highly organised! We are so short on time, between feeding, changing, keeping baby entertained, loads of washing, doctors appointments and so on, we have got time management down to an art. We know exactly how long it takes to do certain tasks, we plan ahead and we work out ways to do things more efficiently.
5. We keep up to date on technology. Not only do our iphones play key roles in our time management, we also need to keep up to date on all the new tech so we can keep our with our kids.
6. We are flexible and adapt quickly to change. Have you ever met a child that did exactly what you want when you want it to? No? Neither have I. I'm always making plans only to change them at the last second because bub has decided she is angry at sleep or has a fever or just doesn't want to go in the car. An activity she likes one day, she hates the next. So I'm constantly changing it up adapting to whatever works.
So if you're a small business owner or are looking to hire a new employee, consider hiring a mum! Her strong work ethic and multitude of valuable skills will surprise you!
Agent Mystery Case