Monday, 27 April 2015

6 reasons why mothers make better workers!

You all know it. Its hard being a woman in the workplace. You're less likely to be selected for interview. You're less likely to get the job. You get paid less. You're less likely to get promoted. Now, recent research from Just Mums Recruitment has found if you are a mum, many employers won't even consider hiring you!

This is ridiculous! As if being a mum wasn't hard enough. If you are like me and looking to head back into the workplace. You're way overqualified for most positions you apply for. You start applying for every job under the sun and still can't get an interview. Is it those glaring words on your resume 'MATERNITY LEAVE' causing the problem? Apparently it is! In fact, we are now being told to stop including 'maternity leave' on our resumes, its better to be unemployed for any reason other than having a baby!

Seriously? This is f*@#ed! Mothers make better workers for so many reasons! Here are just five of them.

1. We spend all evening singing 'twinkle twinkle little star' and 'old Macdonald' that we cannot wait to get into an environment where children don't exist and we can read about politics and accounting.... seriously, I never thought I'd be excited by accounting.

2. We know we have a deadline, you have to pick you're kids up sometime, so we are likely to waste less time and work harder to complete our work.

3. We know how to multitask. We you have children you need to learn how to cook dinner, entertain the baby and break up fights all at the same time! Invaluable skills in the workplace.

4. We are highly organised! We are so short on time, between feeding, changing, keeping baby entertained, loads of washing, doctors appointments and so on, we have got time management down to an art. We know exactly how long it takes to do certain tasks, we plan ahead and we work out ways to do things more efficiently.

5. We keep up to date on technology. Not only do our iphones play key roles in our time management, we also need to keep up to date on all the new tech so we can keep our with our kids.

6. We are flexible and adapt quickly to change. Have you ever met a child that did exactly what you want when you want it to? No? Neither have I. I'm always making plans only to change them at the last second because bub has decided she is angry at sleep or has a fever or just doesn't want to go in the car. An activity she likes one day, she hates the next. So I'm constantly changing it up adapting to whatever works.

***********************

So if you're a small business owner or are looking to hire a new employee, consider hiring a mum! Her strong work ethic and multitude of valuable skills will surprise you!

xo

Linking with:
Agent Mystery Case
Essentially Jess

30 comments:

  1. That is so true! We are also less likely to pull a sick day because being at work sick is infinitely more relaxing than being sick at home with two children (or one or five or more in some cases!).

    Popping by from #IBOT. Good luck with the job hunt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha absolutely! nothing harder than spending a day with a very cranky clingy little baby. It would be nice to go to work and escape!

      Delete
  2. Agree. I think new employees who are mothers are the most efficient. They are keen to get back into work, they don't mess around with time, so they're in a better head space.

    However I think mothers who go back to their previous employer are a little more .... precious. I know I may be opening a can of worms but I like to hear other people's opinions, and hey I was one of them. I went back to my corporate job part time, 6 months after I had my first and I felt a little entitled, felt they owed me a little since I did go back so soon. With my second I didn't have a job and 18 months later went back to a corporate job part time. This time I was grateful for the role, worked my arse off, harder than went I went back before and just was ready to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be quite right. I left my job when I had a bub as my contract ended, I think I'll be very grateful when I find a new position, but I have noticed some people I used to work with did have that attitude when they returned from mat leave.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic points! I can't believe that being a mum is a turn off to some employers! That is really shit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! Mums clearly have so much too offer, but sadly equality in the workplace isnt quite there yet, is it.

      Delete
  4. I suppose I can see both sides. There's also the time off for sickness and from experience when your little one starts in care, there are a lot of bugs and sickness to pick up in those first years.

    My eldest is now 17 and my youngest 13, so it's been a little while since I was on maternity leave, I do believe there are more family friendly work options than there was back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I don't think the workplace was nearly as family friendly as it was when my mother was working, but I suppose some are more advanced than others.

      Delete
  5. Love this! I need to keep it in mind when i feel distracted by my kids and not fully committed #brillblogposts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant points, agree with them all. I definitely work with much more focus because my time is limited. When I am at work I want to achieve as much as possible because when I am with my family I want to enjoy those moments completely as well. Trying always to be as much in the moment as possible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing worse than bringing work home and missing time with your family! I see how hard it is on my hubby all the time. Mum's dont have much choice but to leave work at work. I know I'll be working harder to make sure I can make the most of family time!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. thanks! and thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  8. It's a ridiculous.
    I hate to think how hard it will be for me to find work. I had my first baby at 20, and did uni before that, so I've only ever had casual, retail jobs. My resume is very sad looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know! I have 4 degrees and a lot of work history and I'm struggling. You'll be find, besides you can add 'awesome blogger' to your resume!

      Delete
  9. Such a good perspective! I think my boss actually embraces this, too. Thankfully! #brilliantblogpost!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a lucky lady to have a great boss :) I hope all businesses start realising the value of mothers as well!

      Delete
  10. Yes, yes and ABSOLUTELY YES! It's interesting that research back you up but that the workforce is slow to embrace the notion. There is definitely a negative prejuduce towards mums as employees. To them I say STUFF THAT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is! I know some industries pay women the same as men for the same job but I'm sure you'll find there are less women in the higher level roles. There's such a lack of part time or family friendly roles around as well. I'm hoping more employers embrace mums soon so I can head back into the workforce!

      Delete
  11. Wow! Love this perspective on a working mum! I'm definitely ready for my next job and this is very welcome support!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm ready (or need) to head back into the workforce too. Hopefully more people realise the value of mums!

      Delete
  12. 'm very lucky that I work in a female-dominant career, so I hope that I won't run into as much discrimination. But I know my friends aren't so lucky, and several women at her work who have returned from Mat Leave are being seen as having been 'given' jobs just so people don't rock the boat. Even though these women are more than qualified!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes they are! In fact I think they are probably more qualified than before they went on maternity leave. You are lucky you have a supportive workplace :) I hope they keep treating you well!

      Delete
  13. I totally agree that Motherhood brings extraordinary skills to the workplace. I am a SAHM, but worked for a number of years before I had kids and while I had kids. I found that I was a much more efficient person & had more of a "get it done" attitude because I was juggling work, home & babies. Yup, that multi-task & time-managment skill we have got down packed! Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I have multi-tasking down pat now. I think when I return to work I'll certainly have some great new skills! Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  14. Completely agree, motherhood is a crash course in responsibility, flexibility, and time management, but we also have needs that the workforce (originally male-dominated) is not currently designed for (like leaving at pick up time and no later). Heard of a great Organisation that recognises our abilities and constraints called Power To Fly I think. Found out about it through an article written by a founder who used to discriminate against Mums, and then became one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'll look it up! It's hard to find a job that fits in with a mother's lifestyle isnt it! Hopefully we will start to head in the direction of the workforce becoming more family friendly soon! Especially with Dads becoming increasingly involved in their children's lives.

      Delete