Sunday, 3 May 2015

DIY Baby Sensory toys - Coloured rice shakers

I am constantly buying my baby new toys. In fact, I spoil her like crazy. I have a problem.

She's only 7 months so I know it doesn't do much damage to spoil her now, but I've started to think I should stop buying stuff all the time. Instead I've taken to making her sensory toys. I've made a few of them lately so she has new toys every now and then. Funny thing is, she seems to like these free homemade sensory toys better than some of the fancy expensive ones! .. and they are great for babies development and lots of fun too!

This is the little Rice Shaker sensory toy I made the other day. So simple. So Fun!

What you'll need
  • Rice
  • Food colouring
  • vinegar
  • zip lock bag (or similar)
  • empty plastic bottle
  • baking tray
How to do it

Step 1- Using enough rice to fill about a third of the bottle, put into a bowl with some vinegar until the rice soaks the vinegar up.

(Handy hint - The vinegar helps the rice hold onto the food colouring)

Step 2 - Spread rice out on a baking tray and leave to dry overnight or put in a very slow oven for an hour.

(Handy hint - put down some baking paper down on the tray if you have any, it saves you any washing up)

Step 3 - Put dried rice in the ziplock bag with a few drops of food colouring and shake it up. 

Step 4 - The coloured rice is now ready to be put into the empty plastic bottle. Then tightly screw on the lid. I used some super-glue to make sure it couldn't be opened by little hands.

All done! It's that simple. 

Trust me, your baby will love the sounds and colours, I made some in a couple of different colours and my little girl goes wild shaking it around. 

Happy DIYing ;)

xo

Linking with:
The Ultimate Rabbit Hole
Essentially Jess
Agent Mystery Case

13 comments:

  1. Oh cool! This is great. Well done on the DIY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I have a few more DIY toy ideas up my sleeve too. I think I'll try some more out this week!

      Delete
  2. I remember doing something similar to this for my little one, although I didn't think to colour it. Very clever. It's so easy to go crazy buying for the kids isn't it?! #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy way too much for my little koala. I have a problem lol I'm starting to realise I cant afford to buy anything else so I'm bringing out all the DIY ideas!

      Delete
  3. Amazing and easy tip. Will share this.

    Thanks
    Marta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks!!They are so much fun for bubs, and you can make all sorts of variations! Im now experimenting with other DIY baby sensory toys :)

      Delete
  4. Oh love this, my small lady would get great fun out of this! #brilliantblogposts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh she will have fun with it! All try coloured water and oil and glitter if she's a visual one :) My bub loves sounds so rice shakers are great for her!

      Delete
  5. Oh, my husband loved making stuff like this for the boys. I know we've had several versions of these over the years - the kids loved them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are fun aren't they! I've got all these ideas brewing now on other baby sensory DIYs. I might post another one my bub seems to love too!

      Delete
  6. These are the best!! My nephew would love them! I think I will have to make him one now that I've seen this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im glad I inspired you! I think you're nephew would love it :)

      Delete
  7. Toys are the most essential part of our baby's life; they used to enjoy their childhood with different types of toys and therefore we parents are always looking for best baby toys from different retailer and shopkeepers. But here we have found some new and unique concept which will definitely attract the attention of parents; I used to follow the footstep of making sensory toys and how these are working for us.

    ReplyDelete