Monday, 25 May 2015

Post-Baby Fitness - 30 day challenge!

I have this great group of online mum friends, we've been through pregnancy and early motherhood together and now we're tackling post-baby fitness!

I didn't gain much weight during pregnancy, sweet food made me throw up, but I did totally loose my fitness and become nice and soft. No more flat tummy. No more toned legs. I have a couple of kilos to lose but my goal is about health, fitness and tone! That said, this challenge is perfect if you want to lose weight too!

So the idea. Mums often don't have much time for gyms and classes, so we pick one manageable exercise you can do anywhere, anytime and slowly build in intensity until the end of the month and then move onto a new exercise the next month. By the end of the year we hope to be leaner meaner fit fighting mummy machines!

Hop on board! You can follow each monthly challenge here and on the Looking for mama me!

P.S - You don't need to have a baby to get involved! All you need is the desire to get fit and healthy!

Month 1

To start off the challenge, we're doing SQUATS! I know what you're thinking, it was my reaction too - 'yuck squats'! .... but I'm getting on board! Combine this with some simple cardio - think a light jog or a good walk with your bub and you are well on your way to that awesome post-baby health and fitness!

To be honest, this particular squat challenge is pretty intense, so if you find you make it to 100 a day and cant go further, just stick at 100 and increase by 5 or so a day (not 10 or 20 like the challenge asks!)

According to google - Squats work the following muscles; hamstrings, quadriceps, gluteus maximus, hip abductors, gastrocnemius (calf), soleus, tibias anterior, rectus abdominals and erector spinae. Basically, they are great for toning your legs and backside! They also build up core strength and balance!

How to do it? Stand with you feet shoulder width apart, facing your body straight ahead.With your arms out in front for balance keep your body upright with a straight back. Squat down bending at the knee until your hips are lower than your knees. Keep the weight balanced on both the heel and ball of your foot, you shouldn't be on your toes. Pause and then raise back up to the starting position. Remember to keep your core tight the whole time!

Want to step it up? Carry your baby while doing the squat! The added weight will increase the difficulty and help tone your arms at the same time!

How will you feel at the end? In pain (expect that to kick in at day 2) ... but stronger and more energetic! You might even notice a tighter behind and feel great when you slide back into your pre-pregnancy jeans!


Here's your monthly squat plan. Enjoy and get squatting!


--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also check out The Yummy Mummy Diaries on Instagram for her 30 day fitness challenge!

Happy fitness-finding!!

xo


Linking with:
Essentially Jess
Agent Mystery Case

12 comments:

  1. OMG 50 squats on day 1??? I'd have to start at 10 and work my way up... ;)

    Good luck Lus, sounds like a tough challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Im looking at the end of the month thinking 'how on earth will I manage'! But I think building up to it will help. Otherwise I'll just stop at a manageable number and do that for the rest of the month ;)

      Delete
  2. Ooo, that is a lot of squats. Does picking up toys count? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! provided you pic them up while doing a squat :) squats are painful but thats why they work :)

      Delete
  3. My bub is 5 mtgs and we have 10 weeks before a trip to Europe, so I am going to give this a crack!

    Hello from #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like its just in time to get your legs ready for all the European walking!! Thanks for joining, it will be great! :)

      Delete
  4. Argh! I'm not a fan of squats either, but my doctor has just told me to start doing some to help some back pain I have. I think I'll ease into mine though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Squats are painful, but they do good. May start with 10 a day and add 5 a day. That way you can build up comfortably :)

      Delete
  5. I never get through these challenges, but I would love to tone my legs up, so maybe I'll join you in this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it!!! It'll be worth it for the end result. I have a habit of giving up things quickly too, I'm sticking to this one though!

      Delete
  6. I missed the one on the online group, so am going to do this challenge through here. Good luck to everyone who is doing it, it'll be worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Glad you're on board! I'm going to post the daily numbers on my facebook page, so hopefully you can follow along :) The first few days will be tough, but I promise it'll get better from there!

      Delete