Thursday, 11 June 2015

Heading on holidays with a baby? Top tips to get you through!

We're planning to go on our first family trip in a few week! Exciting! Other than driving a couple of hours to see family that is, it will be a proper road trip. A good six or so hours drive for at least a few nights away.

Given we haven't done this before with a baby, I thought I'd throw out the question to my readers.

Here are some of the great tips you came up with for surviving a holiday with baby!

  1. Take your baby carrier! Especially important for the airport when your pram is stowed away. 
  2. Pack for a variety of weather conditions - just in case on your trip to Queensland you encounter a rare cold patch, you don't want a cold baby!
  3. Buy a new toy or toys for the trip and don't give it to your little human until you're on the road. That'll buy you a little scream-free time!
  4. If bub starts crying on the car trip (out of frustration, not hunger or a dirty nappy), wind the window down a crack, the background noise might help them get back to sleep.
  5. Carry lots of little snacks, like rusks or biscuits, to help ease a case of the cranks.
  6. Plan in advance! How long will you drive, where can you stop on the way etc so you don't have to try to feed bub on the side of a highway.
  7. Pack plenty of the essentials for use during the car/plane ride. Food, wipes, nappies. You don't want to run out and have nowhere to stop and restock.
  8. Stock your iPad, tablet etc with some baby-friendly TV  shows or movies to distract bub if you get desperate. 
  9. Be prepared to go with the flow. Babies are probably not going to run on your schedule.
  10. Keep it simple and don't expect too much.
  11. Relax! A holiday with a baby is not going to be an action packed sightseeing adventure!

Thanks for the fantastic tips team! 

We'll be putting these tips into practice in a couple of weeks so I'll let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed with all the fab ideas to keep our koala happy while on the road we will be having a fantastic holiday!

xo

12 comments:

  1. Top tips! Especially winding down the window. Never would have thought of that. Hope your trip goes smoothly...or at least as smoothly as possible with a tiny tot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, when one of my readers told me that one I had never thought of it before! Makes sense though, white noise is often very calming for babies! I'm looking forward to our holiday and hoping for the best!

      Delete
  2. We went on a huge road trip (3 days of driving each way) when our oldest was 9 months. I have to say we became fans of McDonalds because they were practically the only clean changing facilities along the way. Other than that, it was reasonably smooth (well, smooth because I was used to the constant needs of a baby anyway - I'm sure if I had to do it over I would find it extremely tedious!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a taking a mental note that McDonalds have changing facilities! I never really thought of that! thanks for the tip :)

      Delete
  3. Good luck - you have some awesome tips there for travelling with young children. My often drive 3hrs to stay with family, but I think we will be making a melbourne trip soon so I will have to remember these tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your trip to Melbourne goes smoothly! Be sure to report back with any great tips you find too :)

      Delete
  4. These are all great tips. I think the biggest one is to just relax, take it easy and go with it. Have a great trip!

    Dropping 'down the rabbit hole'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I need to relax!! Hopefully our little koala lets us :)

      Delete
  5. We used to drive the 1200km from Mackay to Brisbane with my bub and going with the flow is the best tip there. The more anxious you are the worse the whole trip will go. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow thats a long trip!! Very ambitious of you :) I think you're right, going with the flow is going to be important, I tend to be so organised, I'll really have to learn to relax it a bit!

      Delete
  6. We are getting our first (quality) carrier very soon. Now that I have five kids and my baby is a toddler, ha ha. We are going to be living on the ocean so it will help us cart her around on the beach where we can't take the stroller. Thanks for linking up at Favorite things Friday! Make sure to add a link back to be eligible to be featured, hope to see you again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ummm, YES! lol. We have travelled with young babies more than I'd like to admit! lol. Great tips! The windows down has worked wonders for us! Same goes for a portable DVD player. Lastly, we would try to plan our travels around their sleep time. We got a LOT more accomplished when they were sleeping! And if it wasn't possible to travel at night - we would make sure they weren't 'super' well rested so they would be sleepy and SLEEP. (Occasionally it would back-fire and they'd just be awake and cranky, but mostly we were golden. Especially if driving. Flying was more the issue b/c they were stimulated by something 'new'). Anyway, thanks for sharing & linking up to Favorite Things Friday with Simply Rachel & Hip Homeschooling! Please consider linking back next time to be eligible for a Feature! Hope to see you again next week! =)

    ReplyDelete