Given we haven't done this before with a baby, I thought I'd throw out the question to my readers.
Here are some of the great tips you came up with for surviving a holiday with baby!
- Take your baby carrier! Especially important for the airport when your pram is stowed away.
- Pack for a variety of weather conditions - just in case on your trip to Queensland you encounter a rare cold patch, you don't want a cold baby!
- Buy a new toy or toys for the trip and don't give it to your little human until you're on the road. That'll buy you a little scream-free time!
- If bub starts crying on the car trip (out of frustration, not hunger or a dirty nappy), wind the window down a crack, the background noise might help them get back to sleep.
- Carry lots of little snacks, like rusks or biscuits, to help ease a case of the cranks.
- Plan in advance! How long will you drive, where can you stop on the way etc so you don't have to try to feed bub on the side of a highway.
- Pack plenty of the essentials for use during the car/plane ride. Food, wipes, nappies. You don't want to run out and have nowhere to stop and restock.
- Stock your iPad, tablet etc with some baby-friendly TV shows or movies to distract bub if you get desperate.
- Be prepared to go with the flow. Babies are probably not going to run on your schedule.
- Keep it simple and don't expect too much.
- Relax! A holiday with a baby is not going to be an action packed sightseeing adventure!
Thanks for the fantastic tips team!
We'll be putting these tips into practice in a couple of weeks so I'll let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed with all the fab ideas to keep our koala happy while on the road we will be having a fantastic holiday!