Sunday, 19 July 2015

7 scary signs your baby is turning into a toddler!

Oh no, the toddler tantrums have begun. This other day my little koala was playing with the remote control while wearing a very smelly dirty nappy. She WAS happily playing until the bad mummy had the nerve to take the controller away so I could change her nappy. The result - a full scale toddler style meltdown! I'm talking the screaming, face-down on the floor, bashing fists on the ground kind of tantrum. While hilarious, it was also concerning. At not even 10 months, I have started to recognise the signs of the impending change. Toddlerhood!

Unfortunately there is no cure to toddlerhood except time. But you can look for the signs and manage the condition.

So how do you know your baby, the subject, is undergoing 'the change'? I did a bit of research on this... here are some of the signs to watch for...

1. They start of walk or 'toddle'.

Apparently, the subject may begin walking or 'toddling'. Barricades and playpens can no longer contain your little movers. Let the toddler- proofing commence! Tick that one off our list. The koala can stand happily unassisted, cruise along furniture and is not far off those first steps.

Management: Install gates in every doorway, locks on every cupboard and whatever else you can think of to slow then down.

2. The bruises appear.

You may feel like you need to hide these in public so strangers don't feel the need to call Child Services, but the subjects will view these as a badge of honor as they inevitably bump/trip/fall over everything, resulting in bruises. Lots of bruises. Often seen of the subjects forehead and knees. See exhibit A - bruised knees results from falling and climbing.

Management: Can you wrap your child in bubble wrap? Probably not recommended...

3. Outfit changes.

 I know we've done this since they were born, but the reasons have changed. You used to change the subjects outfit thanks for poo-explosions or vomit, now its paint, dirt, and food. Your child is now so grubby you are slightly embarrassed to be seen in public with them... 'what no, that's not my child in the grass-stained pants and covered head to toe in squashed pumpkin and drawing on the wall with crayons..."

Management: Start washing the subjects clothes in a separate wash to yours. As for the countless outfit changes, embrace the dirt for it is here to stay. Plus it'll surely save you on loads of washing if you just let them stay in filthy clothes.

4. Sporadic outbursts of crying.

Yes, babies cry too but crying is now becoming more about want and less about need. Babies cry because they are hungry, tired, need their nappy changed and so on. You may notice the subject begin to cry because they want something. Maybe you took away their favourite new toy, say Daddy's keys, or maybe you wont let them eat the dead cockroach. Cue the crying. Ok, lets be honest, this is no longer crying - its a combination of whining and temper tantrums. Expect this symptom to last until adulthood.

Management: Whisky? For you, not them...

5. Take her please.

Remember when the subject was a newborn and you were super protective when someone wanted to hold her? Well now you may be hanging out for that weekly visit from your mother so you can hand said subject straight over. Yes take my child please!

Management: Learnt to love your mother in law, invite her over everyday. You may even consider moving in with your parents.

6. The reach and grab.

Has grocery shopping becoming difficult with the subject reaching out for everything you wheel past? Yes? well you may have a case of impending toddlerhood. Expect this one to get worse, especially when they can start nagging you for everything they see in a colourful package and worse again when they can actually walk  and you discover 20 packets of batteries in your trolley when you go to unload, along with a half eaten chocolate bar that is sadly, not yours.

Management: Find a distraction, and fast!

7. Dropping sleep.

*Sniff sniff* the only thing keeping mums sane! Those of you that follow my post regularly know that the koala is a sh*t sleeper. Well, now is the time for 'sleep consolidation'... assuming you have sleep to consolidate. Has the subject started to drop to only one day sleep or refusing naps altogether? Looks like 'the change' may already be taking over. Never fear, one day they will be teenagers. Then you couldn't pay them to get out of bed. You can rest then.

Management: Phenargen?

---------------------------------------

What are you best tips for surviving toddlerhood? I am going to need all the help I can get!

xo

Linking with:
Ultimate Rabbit Hole
Essentially Jess
Honest Mum

25 comments:

  1. Hahahhahahhah! "Take her please" I LOVE it. That totally nails toddlerhood for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hang out for 5.30pm when me hubby gets home! Especially on the days she doesnt sleep.

      Delete
  2. Haha! Love this post! My twins are definitely well into their toddler years and have done most of what you have on your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh no toddler twins! I hope that they arent too bad for you :)

      Delete
  3. I love the "take her please" although seeeing the mother in law every day might be one step too far... but I guess desperate circumstances require desperate measures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, desperate measures ;) some days I would do anything for a 15minute break!

      Delete
  4. Yikes. Yep, I have an almost three year old and she is quite the determined, spirited little one. I think consistency is key. If she has a tantrum or is naughty, she gets a time out. I try not to give in. If I give in she walks all over me. She responds well to a time out and a cuddle. They are all different. You'll work out what works best for you. #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am such a push over at the moment, I'll have to toughen up before full toddlerhood hits! I'd give in on time out all the time, I'll have to try to hold steady!

      Delete
  5. I find at that age that not only do they have limited ability to regulate their emotions they also have a limited attention span so when a child is on the verge of a meltdown distraction usually works! If you get in quick enough. "No you can't have batteries but this crinkly crackly packet of pasta (already in our trolley) is fun to play with...here you go" type of thing. Food is another good distraction. I always carry a meusli bar or crackers in my handbag to whip out at a moments notice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha good tips! I think mothers become masters of that 'art of distraction' dont they!

      Delete
  6. At least in the beginning the tantrums are kind of cute but now at three they are far from cute. Complete agree with "take her please". I moved 10000k just so I could call that. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha we moved to my parents just so I had a little support. I'm sure I'll be absolutely over tantrums pretty soon, I'm already over the whining, she has that down now :(

      Delete
  7. haha, we are at toddlerhood now too! I was NOT ready for one nap a day, but baby was so one nap a day it's been for a while. I have so little time to get anything done!
    At the moment grocery shopping with an active little toddler can be quite fun - as I pick stuff off the shelf and give it to him to put in the trolley. Makes it take a little longer, as you have to wait for the inspection of the item, turning to drop it in just so, and then the clapping and celebration that it landed in the trolley....but it's fun. Until the time he will inevitably start demanding I pull everything off the shelf, or like you said, he demands all the brightly packaged sugar laden foods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was definitely not ready for one nap a day! Her 2 20 minute naps were bad enough... today she didnt even nap at all :( I'll have to try that shopping thing with my bub when shes a bit older, I think she's love putting everything in the trolley :)

      Delete
  8. Haha! Hilarious but true. My baby is about to become a toddler. Then I will have two toddlers! #brilliantblogposts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! One seems like enough. Good luck with your two toddlers :)

      Delete
  9. And they turn quicker than you expect them too!
    But toddlers are so lovely. Such beautiful little people they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure toddlers have their upsides :) I am looking forward to being able to communicate better with my bub though!

      Delete
  10. Oh gosh, don't! Toby's just turned one and I have temper tantrums from him, he doesn't sleep very well (never has done), he's got 'the look' when he's not happy with me and everything is a target to either throw a toy at or jump on!xx #brilliantblogposts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, you have a toddler, no turning back now! I get that 'look' too.... especially when I say no.

      Delete
  11. So true! Love #2 - my three year old is ridden with bruises. When one finally goes away - she's off to acquiring the next one. Yesterday she sealed the deal on a big bruise on her head. Lovely - just in time for camp tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, bruises on the head are a definite toddler/threenager thing aren't they! Once they start moving you just cant stop them!

      Delete
  12. Spot On!! In past month or two, my son has definitely transitioned from baby to toddler right in front of my eyes!!! You hit the nail on the head with your 7 points! Thanks for sharing! #ultimaterabbithole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for reading :) I'm with you on the watching your baby transform into a toddler.. mines taking a step closer every day. Good luck with your little toddler!

      Delete
  13. YES TO ALL OF THE ABOVE.
    And what is this crap about tantrums starting at 1? I thought we had at LEAST another year up our sleeve :( Charlie is having tantrums left right and centre too, and I LIVE for those visits from my mum!!!

    ReplyDelete