Monday, 13 July 2015

When the world changed in 3 minutes...


Flashing back to 18months ago, some people don't know until they've missed that monthly reminder that they aren't with child, others apparently don't realise until there is literally a baby falling out of them, although I find this a little hard to believe. I knew I was pregnant with the Koala pretty much instantly. It sounds strange but I just had a 'feeling' that I was pregnant even though I surely couldn't have been more than a week along.


We had decided to start trying when we were on our belated honeymoon in Italy. It was another long train ride from Venice to Florence and started talking about if it was time to think about starting a family, and although the timing in reality probably wasn't good, it just felt like starting our family was what we should be doing. It just felt right. We spent the rest of the train ride excitedly thinking up an A-Z of baby names.

It couldn't have been much later than that very night, or the night after, when our little person came into being!

About a week later and we were still somewhere in Italy, maybe Milan, when I started getting this weird nausea. I think it was then that I had this sneaking suspicious I was pregnant. Obviously any tests I'd take at this point would be negative, so we nervously waited for a few weeks.

On the plane home, my husband had told the flight attendant that it was our honeymoon. Lucky us, half way through the trip the wonderful flight crew of Etihad surprised us with a bottle of champagne. Amazing, one of my favourite drinks became something I couldn't stomach the idea of it let alone drink it. I took a few polite sips and then made my hubby drink it.
Unsuspecting in Italy, at this point we weren't aware how much our lives were about to change.

The day I took the test, I knew it was going to be positive. I made my husband look, but I knew. Still, I wasn't prepared for that second line to appear on the pregnancy test.

Three minutes later our world changed. Yep. I was pregnant.

There was no mistaking it.

Just like that our entire world of coupledom dissolved and was replaced with this growing world of 'family'. Every parent has been there, you look at that positive test and think 'what the f*#$! I know we planned this. I know we want to start a family, but nothing will ever be the same again.'

So I was right. We were expecting. I suppose no one knows our body better than anyone else.

Couldn't wipe the smile off my face. Couldn't wait to tell someone. Then came the longest wait of my life, another 8 weeks until that 12 week all-clear scan and 36 until the arrival of my little koala.

Next time, will it be an instant feeling again? How did you find out you were expecting?

xo

Linking with:
Mummy do it
Essentially Jess
Agent Mystery Case
Honest Mum

28 comments:

  1. Congratulations. Our eldest is now 17 and our youngest now 14, pregnancy seems so long ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope by 14 years you managed to forget all the pregnancy and labour stuff!

      Delete
  2. Precious memory.
    The first time (after yrs of infertility) I felt my breasts were harder and tender. I did mental maths and thought ...no way. I was in outback NSW - 1hr plus from any chemst at Easter . I was almost 8-9wks when I had the dating scan.
    The next time it was IVF and twins - I got that + on the test the day before my 14 day blood test. I knew immediately though because I felt it...they are now 9yrs old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do know your body best dont you! Congrats on all your little ones :) So glad your IVF was successful :)

      Delete
  3. I knew with the first two within a day that I was pregnant, but tests were negative for #2 &#3, and the last one I discovered a month later and needed a dating scan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I luckily didnt need a dating scan, I knew straight away I was pregnant :)

      Delete
  4. Oh that's just lovely congratulations. I found out at 6 weeks with my first after I started behaving completely irrationally about something, she was also a honeymoon baby and I knew straight away with number 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe must be something about honeymoons :)

      Delete
  5. Oh thats so lovely! You're incredibly lucky!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely story. I found out I was pregnant decades ago when there were no 'pee on a stick' tests and a doctors visit and blood tests were required. Love your story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah! Gotta love those DIY tests! They still make you have a blood test to confirm though :(

      Delete
  7. I just "knew" I was pregnant the day I conceived our first child - as we sat down for dinner that night, I just knew! Weird huh. I didn't get the same thing though with #2. I can calculate roughly when it would have happened, but no mysterious premonitions or anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear some of us just feel it! Maybe its because its something we've never felt before?

      Delete
  8. I am the only person I know whose husband told her she was pregnant. I was at work and refused to take the call from the IVF clinic in case I totally lost my shit. I got them to call my husband and the bastard sat on that news all day until I got home at 6;30pm. Shit that was a long day. BAHAHHAHAHAHHAH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes :) but thats awesome! So happy you had IVF success must have been the most exciting news to come home to!

      Delete
  9. I was always in denial when I fell pregnant with my 3 girls. I definitely remember taking the tests and buying more to be triply sure! Such a lovely post to read. It's such an exciting but daunting time in your life I think. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha its definitely daunting but amazing! I took 2 more tests just to be sure too!

      Delete
  10. Aw <3, you both look so cute in your leather jackets!!! Unlike some, it was my mother-in-law who told me that I was pregnant and said, "Tania, you're beautiful, glowing and I bet that you're pregnant!", I was in shock as we only started trying for a family three weeks earlier. Two hours and a pregnancy test later, the mother-in-law was right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Tania, thats so lovely :) I saw my MIL at about 7 weeks I think, she had no idea! I swear noone told me I was glowing the whole time I was pregnant!

      Delete
  11. Congrats!! What a happy time for you both! So, is the baby name have an Italian flair??? I hope that you have a great pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a little bit of italian flair in the name ;)

      Delete
  12. What a gorgeous story :) Both my pregnancies I knew early on but I do know someone that genuinely didn't know until
    Labour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How on earth do you miss it? Lucky them not getting any of the horrid pregnancy stuff!

      Delete
  13. So lovely... I'll never forget the day I found out I was pregnant. One of the best days of my life. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Even though I already felt it, confirming it with that test is the best feeling :)

      Delete
  14. That's amazing! I am one of those annoying people who didn't know they were pregnant until over four months in!! I'll link it below in case your interested in knowing why. Now, after two babies (second one was planned), I am constantly scared that I am pregnant and just don't know it! Haha #brilliantblogposts

    http://mummaknows.com/2015/05/04/pregnancy-story/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you skipping the whole first trimester! Lol well you didnt skip it but must not have had all those horrid first trimester symptoms! I'll definitely be reading that story!

      Delete