Wednesday, 26 August 2015

Hospitals are not made for fun : How to entertain a baby in the ER

I like to think of myself as a healthy person. I don't get sick that often, rarely is it more serious than a cold... and then I met my husband!

Since meeting him, my trips to the emergency room seem to have multiplied! We've become frequent hospital visitors and stayers. It isn't just him who frequents the hospital, I think I've racked up more stays than he has and now our little koala seems to have picked up the curse!

We've been to hospital for everything from cut fingers, gastro (that one was fun!), pregnancy complications, abyss emergency surgery, mastitis, choking baby incidents and just last week... a bad case of Bronchiolitis...

So that's the reason I was a bit slack on the blog last week. Poor little koala wasn't well.

She'd had a cold for a good week and was a miserable little sod, but I was finally thinking she was past it so we headed to meet some baby friends for a little mums catch up in a local (for us local is an hour drive away) shopping centre. Poor little bub though, she deteriorated quickly once we were out and through up all over the Coffee Club floor, I'd be more sorry if they'd offered me a cloth to clean it up... instead I had to scrounge through my bag for anything I could use to clean it up. Then poor bubby was burning up, became all pale and lethargic, and then passed out. Being an hour away from our Doctor, I was panicking a little and thought it best to take her to the hospital.

After 5 hours of waiting with a sick little bub to be given Nurofen and Hydrolyte, told it was a virus and sent home. GAH! All that waiting for very little result! Does anyone else feel like sometimes the hospital is the worst place to be for sick people? especially sick kids? We didn't even see a doctor for 4 or so hours. It isn't so fun trying to entertain a 10 month old in a hospital waiting room for that long. Luckily she slept for 2 hours (that's how sick my little non-sleeper was) and then hubby showed up. Some people just know how to create fun out of nothing.

Here's some snippets of how we entertained the koala in the hospital.


Cue rubber glove balloons.


Hydralyte slushies are a hit with the kids...


And the empty cups make good drums.


So that's why I was a bit MIA last week.

Lets hope this week is better!

xo

Linking with:
Honest Mum
Ultimate Rabbit Hole
With Some Grace

16 comments:

  1. Yuck. That must have been scary. Hope she's feeling better soon.

    #brilliantblogposts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, she seems to be at the end of it now! Hopefully she doesn't get sick again any time soon!

      Delete
  2. I hope she is on the mend now Lu. I've had my fair share of emergency room stays with my kids and I share your pain. At least my local hospital (the JHH) has a place to entertain the older kids now but it's so hard when they are so little and so unwell. I hope your run of ER visits are now at an end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha incidentally the JHH was where we were! Not quite our local, but local enough because we have no local because we live an hour from anywhere! It's a very crowded emergency room there. I'll have to keep an eye out for the older kids entertainment if we end up back there... entertaining a 10 month old wasn't easy.

      Delete
  3. Oh god, I can imagine that wait would have been horrendous with a sick 10 month old! You poor thing. My two have only been twice. Last time my 4 year old was the one who was complaining of severe tummy pains but was still fully capable of charming and flirting with all the female nurses and doctors! He loved it and always asks to go back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha what a little charmer :) I bet the female nurses and doctors loved him! Lets hope he isn't back anytime soon though..

      Delete
  4. Poor little bub. I hope she is ok now. We also make the most of hospital gloves, we draw faces and what not on them as well. JHH is not far from me either, not quite local but close enough.

    You do whatever you can to put a smile on their face and give them reassurance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha faces on the gloves is a good idea, they'd become little puppets :) cute idea!

      Delete
  5. Hope everything is all good! Love the blow up glove idea.
    Tegan xx - Permanent Procrastination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, she's feeling much better now :)

      Delete
  6. Oh gosh you poor thing, that sounds super scary, especially the passing out bit. It's frustrating when it feels like the medics don't take your concerns seriously, I would always say act on your instincts and push for second opinions etc. Sounds like you handled it all brilliantly and so glad to hear your koala is doing better x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit scary when she was so ill! I wish I'd pushed for them to see us faster, I felt so bad for my little koala but she's recovered nicely now :)

      Delete
  7. I hope your little one is feeling better soon! Hospitals are no fun for anyone, let alone kids! Unless you are going to visit a new baby and then they are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the maternity ward is the best! I love new babies, the only good time to be at a hospital is when you or someone you know has a brand new little bub :)

      Delete
  8. She looks so cute drinking out of the BIG cup. I would be so scared if my little guy passed out. YIKES> he was hacking up a lung last night and I lost a bit of sleep over listening to him and being worried for him. We do all we can. AND man - ER's are gross and boring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she is pretty cute, don't be fooled though a lot ended up down her front! Its horrible when our kids are isn't it. I swear the ER is not the place for sick babies, unless you want them to be sicker the next day!

      Delete