Monday, 7 September 2015

Baby Food Inspiration : Super Simple Sugarless Banana Cake




Maybe I should rename this feature to 'toddler' food inspiration. I think I'm in a bit of denial that my baby is no longer a 'baby'. Now that she's growing up she wants more variety in her food. She is getting picky and wants flavour, but I want healthy. So we are compromising.

I've been experimenting with all sorts of recipes to find tasty and healthy snacks to give my little koala. I'm not keen on much sugar in my bub's food so I'm finding other ways to make yummy sweet foods without all the sugar.

This recipe is a long time family favourite. It's my mother's banana cake recipe which I've made with her since I was little. She's been making this recipe for at least 30 years, probably longer. I have no idea where the original is from, we've been making it from her hand-written notes for as long as I can remember. With only a tiny adjustment, its now a healthy and tasty snack for my little person.

It really is a super simple but super tasty recipe! Sugarless Banana Cake.

Ingredients

3 very ripe large bananas (and I mean very ripe! - the browner the sweeter)
2 cups self raising flour
2 eggs
125grams butter or margarine
1 teaspoon bicarb soda
1/2 cup of milk

How to do it!

1. Grease a loaf tin and preheat your oven to moderately hot (approx. 190degrees Celsius or 320degrees Fahrenheit).

2. Beat butter and sugar in an electric mixer, eat in eggs one at a time. Add mashed bananas and beat well.

3. Combine bicarb soda and milk and add it to the creamed mixture alternately with sifted flour.
4. Place in prepared tin and bake in the preheated oven for 40-50minutes.

5. Cool and enjoy!

Handy hints: The over ripe sweet bananas will provide more than enough sweetness to stop you from needing any added sugar. Trust me, its sweet enough without the sugar!

Happy eating!

xo

Linking with:

17 comments:

  1. This post reminds me I really need to get my dairy free banana muffin recipe up on the blog lol. I love a good banana muffin/bread or cake {although mine have lots of sugar in them} #teamIBOT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe I do love sugar, but I avoid it for my bub. Banana cake is one of my favourites too! Look forward to seeing your recipe :)

      Delete
  2. No added sugar is always a plus, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like giving sugar to bub so its great when I don't have to add any and its still delish!

      Delete
  3. Looks yum Lu. I find cooking anything with bananas requires no sugar. They are sweet enough. Hope your bub loves this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bananas are definitely sweet enough :) bub's loves this cake, just gobbles a whole piece in minutes

      Delete
  4. Oh this looks great. I'm pretty keen to reduce all our sugar, and I have heaps of bananas in the freezer. I'll give it a go tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. banana's are great for natural sweetners! hope your cake turned out well :)

      Delete
  5. I love that this banana cake has no sugar, I'm definitely going to be baking one this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I love banana bread and I'm all for the no added sugar, ripe bananas give good sweetness anyway. #whatkidseatwednesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bananas are definitely sweet enough not to add sugar, you have to love them!

      Delete
  7. Wow! I am definitely keeping this recipe to try! :)

    ReplyDelete