Monday, 28 September 2015

Safety in Numbers - The Backup Bunny. Plus Baby Bjorn Winner Annouced!

For a long time I was giving my little koala a little elephant security blanket out of hope she would become attached to it and it would help her sleep... it did not work. There was no bonding there at all.

She never would take a dummy and I was looking for something that could sooth her apart from cuddles from mum. Fortunately, after weeks of trying the security blanket I noticed she seemed to have taken to a soft toy bunny I bought her for Easter at the checkout of Best and Less. A random purchase, all because it was so cute and soft I couldn't resist!


A few months later and she adores her 'Bunny Bunny'. Whenever she is in the house I can ask her to go give Bunny Bunny a cuddle and off she toddles to find him. Its adorable really. The first thing she does when she wakes up in the morning or drifts off to sleep is to cuddle her Bunny Bunny.

But then the thought struck me, what if she drops Bunny Bunny in a shopping centre somewhere or we have to clean Bunny Bunny? She'd be devastated! Poor little Bunny Bunny has been smeared with vegemite and snot, dropped out of the car and dragged all over the house. He is looking a little worse for wear, so it's only a matter of time before he is out of action for a few days while he undergoes so desperately need restoration work.

So my husband and I went on a hunt to find a 'Back-up Bunny'. We had bought it at Easter, so finding an exact replica bunny 6 months later wasn't going to be an easy ask... 3 trips to different Best and Less stores later and we discovered not just one Back-up Bunny but a truckload of them. So we grabbed one and tested if the Koala would actually recognise it. Luckily she took to it instantly, she hugged Back-up Bunny and carried out the taste test (by which I mean, shoving him in her mouth and chewing on his ear)... Back-up Bunny was now part of the family. We made a dash to the register and then hid Back Up Bunny away before we reached the car where Bunny Bunny was waiting for his best baby pal to return.

Now we just have to make sure the two bunnies never meet.. or you know, the world as we know it may cease to exist.

Does your child have a comfort toy or security blanket? What's your strategy to deal with a missing comforter?

------------------------------------

Congratulations Baby Bjorn Baby Carrier One Winner!

As promised, the winner of the brilliant Baby Bjorn Baby Carrier One is Karla Kelly. I wish I had another 5 to give away because there were some fabulous answers! Here is the winning response.

My husband and I would love a Baby Bjorn carrier. There is nothing our little munchkin loves more than snuggling up close to her mum and dad. We’re currently using a stretchy wrap style carrier which has been good for winter as it’s warm but it doesn’t support her neck and gets uncomfortable for your back after wearing it for a while. It’s also not intuitive to put on so Dad doesn’t use it. As Evelyn is getting bigger and the weather is warming up we are looking to move to a more structured carrier that provides more postural support that both of us can use. I currently have bad tendonitis in my thumbs which is making using the wrap and increasingly painful experience. Yesterday I tried on a number of carriers in store and I can vouch that the Baby Bjorn is one of the easiest to put on. I was able to quickly adjust it and put Evelyn in without a twinge of pain. It also feels very comfortable to wear and the baby feels secure. We would love to win this one – the colour is gorgeous!!
Congratulations Karla Kelly, I am sure you are going to love your pretty new Baby Bjorn Baby Carrier One!

xo

Linking with:
Essentially Jess
Brilliant Blog Posts

20 comments:

  1. My almost 4 yr old still loves her "snuggle", which is a teddy-head blankie thing she's had since birth. We have 2 in rotation so I can at least wash them every now and again! I dread the day they fall apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww cute! Hopefully by the time they fall apart she's old enough not to get too upset!

      Delete
  2. I did lose a toy in Kmart once. Fortunately, grandma was in the same store two hours later, and returned him to us. But we did go the backup bug for the toy that didn't leave #1's side for years and years, just in case. He's now comforting another child in the house, and the original and best is tucked away for safe keeping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh that's so lucky! Glad you found that special toy :)

      Delete
  3. I love the name 'back up bunny'! Our son has his little elephant blankie called Ellie. He's almost 4 and hasn't lost it yet although her head is almost about to come off. I've never ever thought to have a back up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh no, sounds like Ellie is in need of a little bit of restoration work. Good work on not losing her!

      Delete
  4. Congrats to your winner! A back up Bunny! Very smart you two, very smart! My two both had dummies, thankfully easily replaceable though expensive when they lose them constantly ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my girl never took a dummy, at least a bunny is a bit harder to lose than a little dummy :)

      Delete
  5. I could never get either of my kids to take to any sort of comfort item, other than me. Good idea to have a back up. #TeamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. darn, my girl has been hard to train but now she's finally getting the cuddling toys thing :)

      Delete
  6. Smart move! Just make sure you rotate them so that both bunnies have the same smell. Miss 18 got attached to her cot quilt and would drag it everywhere - I ended up cutting it into smaller pieces. Thank goodness as we DID lose one at the shops, plus it wasn't a battle to take the current fave off her to wash it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. smart idea cutting the quilt up! Lots of back ups all made from the one toy :)

      Delete
  7. Mr 21 got attached to a little pillow his Nanna made him - he still takes it to bed though it's little more than a filthy rag these days. I daren't wash it as it would disintegrate completely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha uh oh! hope it doesn't die completely!

      Delete
  8. Haha! Sneaky- I love it. We got a packet of 6 muslin cloths when our tot was born and those have become his comforter. Thanks heavens as they do pick up stink unbelievably quickly and he doesn't seem to mind that we cycle through them and wash them. A friend advised writing your mobile number on a label for treasures like that so someone can call if it gets lost x

    #brilliantblogposts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's a good idea! I never thought to write my name and number on it.

      Delete
  9. Lu, this is hilarious! I'm the same - have tried various things for Charlie to attach to, and he now has about 50 things but nothing he really truly loves. Very smart getting a back-up bunny. That is so funny that you trooped around all the Best and Lesses on a bunny hunt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have loved if she got the cuddle toy thing a bit sooner but some kids just don't get as attached to things as easily. Hope your little boy finds something her loves, but its ok if he doesn't :)

      Delete
  10. My friends son has this bunny, its nearly threadbare! My son has a duck and we have a replacement that i had to give him while i was in hospital and he stayed elsewhere, so now i need another backup! Has to be done though. I'm also after another one to put away for his baby one day - mental? probably lol xx #brilliantblogposts

    ReplyDelete