Does this sound like your toddler? It becomes really hard to find foods they will eat, doesn't it!
She's happy eating fish fingers or meatball, but its hard to find vegetable dishes she'll eat. The other day I made this delicious vegetable bake though, and it went down a treat! If she didn't eat it, I would have anyway, it was seriously yummy!
The great thing about this recipe is that by adding an egg the bake with stick together so that your little toddler cake grab the pieces and feed themselves without too much trouble. They'll love it too :)
1 large wedge of pumpkin (about 2 cups worth)
1 medium zucchini
1 medium sweet potato
1 and a 1/2 cup of milk
1 cup of grated cheese
1 tablespoon of plain flour
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
Medium sized baking dish, approx. 20cm x 20cm (8inches x 8inches)
How to do it
1.Preheat your oven to moderately hot (180degrees Celsius or 320degrees Fahrenheit)
2. Slice the sweet potato and pumpkin into flat pieces about half a centimetre (1/4 inch) thick and grate/shred the zucchini.
3. Now you need to make a little white sauce. Using a small saucepan, melt your butter and then add the flour. Stir to make a paste and then slowly stir in the milk, keep stirring until the sauce thickens. Then add about half your grated cheese and stir into the hot sauce until melted.
4. Layer half the sweet potato and pumpkin, then sprinkle half the zucchini on the top. Whisk an egg into the white sauce and pour half of it over the vegetables. Then layer the rest of the vegetables and pour the remaining white sauce over the top. Sprinkle on the grated cheese.
5. Cover with foil or a lid and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour.
6. Remove the lid or foil and bake for a further 10 minutes.
7. Slice and enjoy!
Handy hints! If you don't have an hour to cook your food, like most mothers, I really recommend you par cook your pumpkin and sweet potato first, either put them in the microwave for 5 minutes with a bit of water, or steam them for 10 minutes. If you do this, you'll be able to bake in the oven for only 15-20minutes. Good time saver! Also, if you want the bake to be a bit firmer, just add another egg whisked into the white sauce.
What Kids Eat Wednesday