Sunday, 11 October 2015

A Teddy Bears Picnic Birthday Party!

A few days ago, it was my daughters first birthday! Yes, the big 1!

We threw her a big Teddy Bear Picnic birthday party It was fabulous! She had such a good time with all her friends and family, and we were so fortunate to have the more beautiful day to celebrate by the water.

Don't get me wrong, we had our fair share of disasters. Starting with my husband heading off to the party venue, which was half an hour from home, with me to follow after finishing the food preparation. Little did I know he took the car keys with him so I had no way to get to the party WITH the birthday girl! Talk about a disaster. I managed to get my father to go to the venue and collect the keys and bring them to me. But instead of arriving an hour and a half before the party started to set up all the food and decorations, I only got there with 15minutes to spare before guests started arriving, leading to the fastest set up in party history! Luckily my planning paid off and we manage to get most of it done before the party guests began to arrive and it was looking fantastic pretty quickly!

So how do you pull off a Teddy Bear Picnic party? Fabulous picnic food, lots of teddys and plenty of 'on-theme' decorations.

This is what I did.


Food

Amongst all sorts of picnic foods like sandwiches, pinwheel pizzas and fruit platter, I also made teddy themed food like teddybear shaped shortbread and cupcakes decorated with sugar desserts... AND a super duper Teddy Bear Picnic chocolate mudcake!

I have to admit, I'm super proud of the Teddy Bear Picnic cake, especially given it was my first time using fondant ever! So if you think you can't achieve an great fondant birthday cake, look at my awesome fondant modelling prowess as an example!

I didn't forget about the babies and little kids in the food making either. I made sugarfree mini banana muffins, corn ugglies and special cheese and vegemite sandwiches for the little ones.


Decorations

I chose a red, white and natural brown colour scheme complete with red and white checked table cloths and of course, a thousand teddy bears! (disclaimer - 1000 teddy bears may be a slight exaggeration.)

------------------------------

One of the great things about the teddy bear picnic theme is that its works for both boys and girls. Everyone likes teddy bears! Plus its easy to create, you don't need a tonne of themed decorations, you just need to keep to a simple colour scheme and incorporate teddy bears into the d├ęcor.

What did you do for your child's last birthday? Was it a themed party or a fun and simple party?

xo

Linking with:
My Home Truths - I must Confess
Honest Mum - Brilliant Blog Posts
Ultimate Rabbit Hole

16 comments:

  1. What a fun post. I love the cake and the teddy's are so cute. Happy Birthday to your daughter. First birthday's are so special.
    Dropping by from #IMC
    Suzy at Someday Somewhere

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think first birthdays are as important to parents as they are to the babies :) We all had a great day, and the cake went down well!

      Delete
  2. Despite the near disaster, I'm glad it was a fantastic day for you all, particularly for your little girl! The teddy bear cake looks simply gorgeous - well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, we all had a great day in the end :)

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday to your little girl! I love all things teddy, we used it as a theme to decorate our nursery 21 years ago and it did both the boy AND the girl we went on to have. That cake is amazing - go you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teddy bears are a great theme aren't they :) I still love them!

      Delete
  4. Oh wow! You are too awesome! Well done. I did a Mickey Mouse theme for my sons last birthday, but certainly didn't go to a lot of effort like you did. He had a bigger party for his first birthday so last years was a bit quieter. I am doing a digger/truck theme for his 3rd party this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) The cake was easier than I thought. Mickey Mouse theme would have been cute! I'm a Disney nut :) Is he getting a big Tonka Truck for his birthday? I bet he'll love that theme.

      Delete
  5. We had a teddy bear picnic party for our sons third and first birthday party. Such a cute theme and I'm a sucker for gingham.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good theme, and its great for boys and girls, they all love teddy bears when they are young :)

      Delete
  6. Awww what a sweet theme for a party. We just celebrated my little mans 1st birthday about 2 weekends back with a rainbow themed party which I blogged about too. I would have been stressing majorly if I was stuck at home & hubby took off with the car keys, oh dear. Glad it all worked out in the end & happy birthday to your little girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Birthday to your son! Sounds like we may have has parties on the same day :) I'll have to pop over and read about your rainbow theme, that's a fun idea!

      Delete
  7. What a gorgeous theme for a first birthday or any birthday age for that matter. Love the cake - well done Mama.
    We had "A Little Golden Book" theme for my son's first birthday last year (details on my blog). It was so much fun! The next few birthdays will be low key, until 5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to read about your Golden Books theme :) I love those books! I think the next few will definitely be more low key (and therefore less work) than this year!

      Delete
  8. The cake looks fantastic - it might be your first time, but you can fondant like a boss! What a wonderful idea for a first birthday - I hope a very merry time was had by all, especially the birthday girl! Thanks for linking up with the Ultimate Rabbit Hole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks :) It was actually super fun working with fondant, and much easier than I though! Birthday girl definitely had a great day.

      Delete