Sunday, 18 October 2015

Christmas presents for teachers - what they really want!


I know what you're thinking, it's only October! But we are hurtling towards the end of the year and Christmas will be here before you know it! It's only 10 weeks until the big day, and I know it'll go fast.

As the wife of a teacher, at Christmas time we are usually inundated with gifts from my husband's students, which is so lovely! While I love the wine and chocolates, here are some things you may not think to get for your child's teacher, but I can guarantee they will really appreciate them!

We are constantly spending money from our own pocket to buy various things for the classroom or students. Teacher's are not paid all that well to begin with, and then they are expected to buy all sorts of things from their salary because most schools are unfortunately underfunded and don't have the money to buy all those little extra's that really make your kid's primary school experience! The same thing can be said for day care and high school.

Here are some ideas for presents for the teacher this Christmas (as approved by an actual teacher)!

1. Books! Picture books, reading books... as long as they are aimed at children, they will go down well! My husband has set up a reading corner in his classroom and stocked it with second hand books, but he's always looking for more or trying to replace the ones that are falling apart.

2. Stationary. Coloured paper, laminating paper, textas..... Better yet - why not pick up a gift voucher to one of those big stationary shops like Office Works. It bound to be appreciated!

3. Craft supplies. Pipe cleaners, little pompoms, felt, craft sticks.... whatever crafty thing you can think of, it'll be used in the classroom. Maybe come up an age-appropriate craft activity and give the teacher all they would need to carry it out with the class.

4. A science experiment hamper. Want to get a little creative?  My husband loves doing science experiments with the kids, whether its growing beans or creating vinegar and bi-carb volcanos. On a regular basis he hunts out bits and pieces to do fun and educational experiments. Maybe look up a few age appropriate activities and put all the bits and pieces it needs in a little basket.

5. Small appliance. By which I mean a printer or laminator. You know those really cheap printers that retail for $20-30. Well we go through several of those a year, because once the ink runs out its cheaper to buy a new one than get a new ink cartridge. The amount of laminating we do is really putting our laminator through its paces and it surely wont last much longer. Just another thing we buy ourselves so my husband can do his job educating our future generation. Maybe pool with another mum if its a bit much to buy on your own.

What do you normal get for your child's teacher for Christmas? Are you the creative gift giver? The wine and chocolates givers? Or are you a yummy homemade maker? I hope this has given you some different and great ideas! Give one of these to you child's teacher and you're likely to be the most popular parent at school!

But don't worry, if you can't get one of these things, chocolate and wine is still always welcome. Long suffering wives of teachers definitely appreciate these!
Thanks to Soho Sonnet, find free printables over at http://www.sohosonnet.com/kids/teacher-appreciation-gift-wine-label-free-printable/

... and don't think you have to get the teacher something, but its definitely appreciated!

thanks

xo

Linking with:
I must confess - My home truths
Melting Moments

27 comments:

  1. I'm starting to look for gifts for E's teachers - her main teacher is a SAINT! I want to do something really special for her but I don't know what. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww :) Its so great that there are such great teachers out there and better that they are appreciated :) Maybe a lovely craft basket and throw in something tasty (even homemade) just for her!

      Delete
  2. Great ideas Lu, I have trouble with this every year

    ReplyDelete
  3. We usually do movie tickets with a voucher for the Candy Bar! I reckon if they have spent a whole year teaching my children there isn't a present that gives back what we have taken. I love teachers and their dedication...I often wish we could give more. Great ideas and I think I will put some of those into action this year as well. Mel xx #IMustConfess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Movie tickets are good :) hope this has given you some inspiration!

      Delete
  4. Great ideas Lu! I do have to say, as the wife of a high school teacher, I still very much appreciate the gifts of wine and chocolate that come my way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes, highschool is a little different. Wine are chocolates are still always good :)

      Delete
  5. Interesting! I would never think to get them things like that because it is more like giving for the children than to the teacher themselves but it's definitely food for thought! I haven't got anything for teachers yet as he is at kindy so has 6 teachers and not one particular teacher but I will once he hits school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its hard when kids are in childcare rather than school, there's so many carers. You can always get a little something for the Kindy instead :)

      Delete
  6. My kids gave chocolates and a handmade card. It was bought out of their pocket money so had to be affordable.

    Dropping by from IMC linkup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww that's really sweet! I bet the teacher loved it! I do love the homemade cards my hubby gets!

      Delete
  7. Great ideas. My son isn't in school yet, but I do get his daycare teachers something little. Usually chocolates is a favourite for them though. Wine does go a long way though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like wine and chocolates :) You could always get a little something for the centre as well

      Delete
  8. I only taught briefly but I totally agree with all of these ideas :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our boys are all in day care a few days a week, in three different rooms. So I have a stack of chid care teachers to buy for. These ideas are great, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope they've given you some ideas for when your boys hit school :)

      Delete
  10. Love the idea of picture books! Could be great if you find a book with a character name the same as your child's :) I think we'll do the craft basket for our eldest's teacher after reading this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha that would be cute, especially if the character matched your childs personality :)

      Delete
  11. Lovely ideas. For Christmas they tend to get homemade cake as I have anlittle cake business. But these are great ideas for end of year gifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. homemade cakes are lovely! I do love a good cake :)

      Delete
  12. Great ideas that I totally endorse as a teacher and a parent. I especially love the label on the wine bottle. What a great idea! #brilliantblogpostd

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great ideas here thanks! I normally go for something home made, and one year I made up a basket with a different coloured nail polish for each of the teachers and helpers. They loved that. I especially love your idea about making a kit for a science experiment, everyone would benefit from that! Becky x #Brilliantblogposts

    ReplyDelete
  14. My little boys started pre-school this year and iv'e been wondering what to get their teacher for Christmas. Will keep these ideas in mind. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Couldn't resist looking at this as I am a Secondary School teacher. It is really sweet when kids get us presents (although it is rarer in Secondary than it is in Primary) but nicer than any present is a handmade card with a message from the student. I wouldn't say no to gin either.
    #brillblogposts

    ReplyDelete