Saturday, 24 October 2015

Toddler Food Inspiration : Lunchbox Banana Uglies

You may say 'uglies' that doesn't sound very nice. Called 'uglies' because they look like splattered lumpy cookies, but trust me your child will adore them!!! I've been making all sorts of uglies for my little girl lately. Once toddlerdom hit her a few weeks ago she decided to head into a super fussy with what she eats. Basically no puree, nothing from a spoon, no steamed vegetables, only select fruit at select times, no sandwiches....  but she loves all the uglies!

I've mostly been making savory uglies (I'm post some recipes to those soon) but the other day I thought I'd try a sweet version. My Koala has gone off eating bananas for some reason so I thought I'd turn all the browning ones I have into a tasty treat.

So did she eat these? Let just say she would have eaten 10 if I let her!

These things are so easy and so tasty. The recipe is also super easy to alter, you could add strawberries or blueberries or even apple. I wrap them up in cling wrap or put them in a little lunchbox to take out with us. They are great for out and about and freeze well, so just defrost as you need.


What you need
  • 3 overripe bananas
  • 1/2 cup of desiccated coconut
  • 2/3 cup of sultanas
  • 300grams (just over a cup) of self raising flour
  • 1/2 cup of milk
  • 1 egg 

How to make it!

1. Preheat a moderate oven, approximately 180degrees Celsius or 320degrees Fahrenheit.

2. Put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix with a spoon. The mixture should be super thick and almost doughy.

3. Grease a large baking tray and place spoonfuls of mixture approximately approximate 2-3cm (1 inch) apart and bake for 18minutes or until lightly golden.

4. Cool and give Banana Uglies to toddler.

5. Pray it doesn't end up on the floor.

xo

Linking with:
My home truths - I must confess
Ultimate Rabbit Hole
What Kids Eat

20 comments:

  1. Thanks Lu, keep them coming i need more ideas for my fussy little one too. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hope you like these :) I'll hopefully post more recipes soon!

      Delete
  2. Ha they're pretty cute looking uglies! Nice and easy recipe, good one Lu :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are so easy! Nothing hard about throwing all ingredients in a bowl and mixing! they taste good too

      Delete
  3. No bananas in this house, I'm allergic ... would have to go with the strawberry version I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh no, bananas are so good! Hopefully strawberry ones work as well :)

      Delete
  4. 9:45pm I'm sitting here about to go to bed... saw this post and inspired to go and bake cookies! They're in the oven now.. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome - definitely my kind of cooking! I have a feeling my kids would love these too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes, easy and yummy is my kind of cooking too :)

      Delete
  6. Yum! They sound super easy & yummy & insure my little monsters will live them. Putting it on the list to make this week, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet your kids will gobble them up! They are pretty tasty and such little effort to make :)

      Delete
  7. Anything that can be frozen for another day is a winner for me! Will give these a try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a stash of these in my freezer, they are a great mid morning snack for my girl so I just defrost them as I need them :)

      Delete
  8. I think that these would go down a treat with my little boys.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this Lu. My kinda recipe and perfect for the lunchbox. Love the name too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a ton of 'ugly' recipes I make :) They are great little lunchbox snacks for the kids!

      Delete
  10. These look great. I have never heard of 'uglies' before but will give them a try with my girls. #WhatkidseatWednesday

    ReplyDelete
  11. They sounds lovely! I'm sure my kiddos would love these uglies!

    ReplyDelete