Saturday, 28 November 2015

Easy DIY Christmas Project - Toddler friendly Christmas Tree decorations!

Easy DIY Christmas Project - Toddler friendly Christmas Tree decorations!
I know we all love those gorgeous glass sparkly baubles on our Christmas trees, but lets face it, when you have a baby or toddler running around those suckers with be smashed before you can even get the tree up! Finding baby friendly decorations for your tree can be tricky so this year I decided to make some.

When I was at home on maternity leave last year waiting for my baby to make an appearance I made her a mobile from felt. Little elephants and heart, it turned out so well so I thought I could do the same with Christmas decorations. They are a great 'in front of the TV' activity, no sewing machine needed. I am actually pretty proud of my effort!
Easy DIY Christmas Project - Toddler friendly Christmas Tree decorations!

Here's what I did so you can make your own.

What you'll need
  • Lengths of different coloured felts (stiffer types of felt work best)
  • Embroidery cotton and needles
  • Scissors
  • Beads/sequins
  • Thin ribbon
  • Blank paper and pencil
  • Wadding/stuffing
Easy DIY Christmas Project - Toddler friendly Christmas Tree decorations!

What to do

Step 1.
Using the paper draw templates for your decorations. They work best at about 3 inches (10cm). To be honest I really struggled at drawing a star. Yes an easy object I just couldn't get right. So I printed out a clipart star and used that instead.
Easy DIY Christmas Project - Toddler friendly Christmas Tree decorations!

Step 2. Pin your template to the felt and cut out two pieces or each template.

Step 3. Sew on any embellishments such as a nose and eyes for your reindeer.

Step 4. Using a long length of embroidery cotton and start hand sewing together the two pieces - no machine required. One of the two stiches shown in the picture works best. Its a good idea to start where the ribbon is so it is sewn in securely to the seam (the ribbon is what will be used to hang the decoration on the tree).
Easy DIY Christmas Project - Toddler friendly Christmas Tree decorations!

Step 5. When you have sewn up half the seam, stuff in the wadding and then sew up the remaining seam.

-------

They aren't perfect, but they don't need to be. Christmas isn't about perfection. Its about family and fun and all the things you love!

These are easier to make than they look so why not give them a go.

xo

Linking with:
My Home Truths
Mummy Do It
Ultimate Rabbit Hole

13 comments:

  1. These are crazy cute!! I love DIY ornaments. And I LOVE Christmas :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've done so well - I'm in awe! I don't think I have ever made an ornament for our tree. Must do that one of these days ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute Lu! I am far too lazy to do anything like this ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look really cute! :)

    I'm wondering how our tree will survive this year....our dog gets curious so we tend to keep the bottom branches pretty bare, apart from leaving him one or two to play with, but it's a whole different game with a toddler! He wasn't too fascinated last year but he was just a baby then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look great Lu - I hope they can grace your tree for years to come x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are really cool Lu! I wish I could remember how to use a sewing machine, like many things the knowledge that I once had has flown out the window! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so creative! These look awesome. Wish I had your talent :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look gorgeous! I'd make some but I am fundamentally opposed to hand sewing xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are super cute!! thanks for sharing on #BlogFair

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are great. I found some left over felt in my Christmas box today !
    An Advent activity my boys will love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute and very simple. I love making homemade ornaments and other holiday crafts. Definitely pinning this post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are so cute! Well done :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh these are gorgeous! We've got a few felt decorations on our tree, and although I'm not clever enough to have made any of them, they're some of my favourite things on the tree! You've done a great job!

    ReplyDelete