Saturday, 14 November 2015

Toddler Finger food Inspiration - Moroccan Curry Puffs

 
I love puff pastry! Its so deliciously flakey and light. I've recently discovered my little girl loves it too, so I've been experimenting with a few puff pastry recipes that are healthy and toddler-approved.

I made these yummy Moroccan curry puffs for my little koala and they were so yummy we all ended up eating them for dinner. This recipe will make about 20 or so small puffs.

What you'll need
  • 3 sheets of puff pastry
  • 1 medium zucchini (grated)
  • 1 medium carrot (grated)
  • 1 cup finely diced pumpkin
  • 1 finely diced onion
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas
  • 1 1/2 cups of chicken stock (or vegetable stock if preferred)
  • 1 teaspoon of turmeric
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1 tablespoon of olive oil

How to do it!

Step 1. In a medium saucepan, cook onions and garlic in olive oil for a few minutes until translucent.

Step 2. Add the other vegetables, stock and turmeric. Then simmer for 20 minutes or until the stock has condensed to a thick sauce (the pumpkin should begin to melt into the sauce). Stir in frozen peas and simmer for another few minutes.

Step 3. Lay out your sheets of puff pastry on a greased baking tray and cut into eight triangles, cutting diagonally (refer to the picture).

Step 4. Place a small spoonful of mixture on each triangle and fold the puff pastry in half. Pinch the edges to form a seal.

Step 5. Bake in a moderate over (180degrees Celcius or 330degrees Fahrenheit) for 25 minutes, turning the pastries over half way through. The pastry should puff up and brown slightly.

Step 6. Give to toddler and watch unfolding mess!

Handy hint : If your child is anything like mine, have a dustpan and brush handy because flakey pastry is likely to go everywhere as your toddler pulls it apart. These freeze well, but when you defrost them just pop them back in the oven to cook for a few minutes on each side to get them all nice and crispy again.


Pro tip: I had extra filling leftover, so I threw it in a bowl with a couple of whisked eggs and a little bit of milk (around 1/2 a cup), stirred it up and pour the mixture into a muffin tray. I baked them for 20 minutes in a medium hot oven until nice and golden. Now you have Moroccan curry mini frittatas - incidentally were also a hit with the koala!

Enjoy!

xo

Linking with:
My Home Truths - I must Confess
The Ultimate Rabbit Hole

13 comments:

  1. YUM these are one of my favourite foods, I never though of making them before though. I have to try them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty easy to make, you should give them a go :)

      Delete
  2. Yum!! It;s been way too long since I've had curry puffs! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are a good little food for snacks or small people who throw food if it isn't somehow tied together lol

      Delete
  3. They look delicious. My three are now 14, 15 & 17 but would still love these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they probably would like them :) My husband and I ate them too because they were so good.

      Delete
  4. These look awesome. And reasonably easy to make. Which is of utmost importance to a sub-par cook like myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they aren't too hard to make really, anyone can bake filo in the oven, it tastes good no matter what!

      Delete
  5. I make something similar which I "invented" myself. I cook up whatever vegies I have to hand, then mash them and add curry powder, then bake in puff pastry. Although sometimes I can't be bothered with the pastry and just eat my vegie smash as is. So yummy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yum, veggie smash is a good idea! Its a good way to get kids to eat vegetables without knowing it too :)

      Delete
  6. Yummo. I will have to give these a go. Thanks Lu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your little boy likes them :)

      Delete
  7. Yum! These look delicious! Thanks for linking up with the UItimate Rabbit Hole.

    ReplyDelete