Saturday, 5 December 2015

Easy toddler desserts - cow's milk free!

Easy Toddler Dessert Ideas - Cow's Milk Free - Banana Raspberry Rice Pudding
*This post is brought to you by CapriLac.

I'm no stranger to preparing dietary-specific meals. My sister and sister-in-law are gluten intolerant, my father is on a reduced salt diet for high blood pressure and my mother is low sugar due to borderline type 2 diabetes. So when a friend of mine was coming over with her little boy who has an allergy to cow's milk protein, I wasn't sure what I was going to make for afternoon tea, most of the desserts I make have some sort of milk or butter in them.

I tested a few ideas but then came up with the idea of making a rice pudding. Low in sugar, full of fruit and using a delicious CapriLac Goat Milk. Perfect solution!

Apparently the protein in goat's milk is different to the protein in cow's milk and my friend's boy didn't register the same problem with goat's milk. While I was testing out goat milk products, I thought I'd try using CapriLac Goat Milk and the CapriLac Goat Yoghurt in my morning smoothie or an after dinner milky treat for my little girl. The result was pretty yummy!

I made sure my rice pudding wasn't high in sugar and added in lots of yummy banana and raspberries.

Super simple and super tasty using the CapriLac Goat Milk!
Easy Toddler Dessert Ideas - Cow's Milk Free - Banana Raspberry Rice Pudding

Banana Raspberry Rice Pudding

What you need:
  • 1litre of CapriLac Goat Milk
  • 3/4 cup of long grain rice
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 mashed ripe banana
  • 1 punnet of raspberries
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 tspn of vanilla essence
  • 1/2 tspn of nutmeg
How to do it:

Step 1. Put the CapriLac milk, rice and salt in a medium saucepan and bring to the boil. Once boiled reduce the heat and simmer for 25 minutes stirring frequently until the rice is tender.

Step 2. Stir in the sugar and vanilla, bring to the boil again for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.

Step 3. Turned heat off and stir in the mash banana.

Step 4. Spoon into ramekins or bowls and once cooled, top with fresh raspberries and sprinkled nutmeg.
Easy Toddler Dessert Ideas - Cow's Milk Free - Banana Raspberry Rice Pudding

Breakfast Smoothie
Easy Toddler Dessert Ideas - Cow's Milk Free - Banana Nectarine Smoothie

Take advantage of the delicious stone fruits in season this summer and blend in the tasty CapriLac Natural Goat Yoghurt for a refreshing morning smoothie. These smoothies are a great way to get calcium and fruit into a fussy toddler's diet.

Simply blend 1/2 a cup of CapriLac Natural Goat Milk Yoghurt, 1/2 a teaspoon of vanilla extract, 1 banana, 1 nectarine, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 cup of CapriLac Goat Milk.

Low fat, low sugar... a great healthy morning pick-me up!
Easy Toddler Dessert Ideas - Cow's Milk Free - Banana Nectarine Smoothie

Caprilac Goat's Milk Products

I love these delicious CapriLac Goat products. They began in the Gippsland area in Victoria, and there are still 2 large goat farms in the area. What I love about these products is that not only are they a great easy to digest healthy alternative to cow's milk but they also taste delicious and are still nice and creamy. Fresh and not containing any preservatives, flavours or colours, CapriLac goat milk products are easy on little tummies too. If you want more information on this product, head over to http://www.caprilac.com/.

Enjoy!

xo

Linking with:
I must confess
What Kids Eat Wednesday
Ultimate Rabbit Hole
Pandora and Max

8 comments:

  1. I've never tried goat yoghurt or milk but goat's cheese is my one indulgence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a coeliac I'm used to having to substitute ingredients too - comes with the territory. We're big fans of rice puddings here (as they are usually GF too -yay!) but I've never used goat's milk before. I've tried pretty much every other option like almond, rice, soy and lactose free but not goat. Good to know there is another option out there for those who need to steer clear of casein or lactose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a dessert fan of any description.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to know about goats milk being a possible alternative to little ones with cows milk protein sensitivities. My toddler isn't able to have dairy but we haven't tried goats milk, I'd be interested to see how that goes! Also, I love rice pudding and haven't had it for ages. #blogfair

    ReplyDelete
  5. If goat's cheese is an indicator of deliciousness, I'm guessing goat's milk must be super tasty! That smoothie sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never tried any milk that isn't a cows! Is that weird?! I've never had or known anyone personally with allergies so haven't needed to but I am sure that there are heaps of people out there with little kids who are intolerant who will love these ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look great! Must be so hard for mums of kids with allergies or intolerances to come up with yummy alternatives for meals and desserts so caprilac looks like it would be fantastic for them!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love rice pudding! We used goats milk for a while for a while for our eldest, maybe I'll have to whip up a batch of your rice pudding - with extra blueberries to keep the kids happy :)

    ReplyDelete